[Beowulf] If I were specifying a new custer...

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 18 22:54:49 PDT 2018

On the subject of new architectures, James Lin from the Shanghai HPC Centre
tweeted this:
In HPC China2018, I see the prototype node of Tianhe3.  Processor
(FT-matrix 2000+): 128 cores, 2TFlops in DP --> Node: 3 processors, 6TF -->
The prototype system: 512 nodes, 3PFlops. The interconnection is
200Gbps.    Details will be available online later this month. Looking at
the Matrix processor it is very interesting:
https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/nudt/matrix-2000 Each Matrix consist for four
'super nodes' with 32 cores and its own paths to DDR4 memory. So you would
imagine there are 4 separate chips in the package, but I may be wrong. Each
core has two 256bit wide vector units. Clocked at 1.2Ghz which makes sense.
A couple of observations: A single 128 CPU machine with 256 wide vector
units would have been a pretty respectable supercomputer in itself not so
long ago. If I have not miscalculated, it would have got you near the top
of the Top 500 in 2010 I wish I could get a hold of one, or a test drive -
probably not much hope of that. Stu Midgley - I think you need to get your
order in for a boat load of these! So I will stick my neck out - Doug, get
on a flight to Shanghai for your next clustermonkey building blocks.