[Beowulf] its going to be big

Stu Midgley sdm900 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 06:04:41 PDT 2018

Evening

We focus on single precision, cause that's what we run.  Seismic data is
collected at less than single precision so not a lot of point at processing
it to higher standards.

We have several machines at or over 20PFlops (single precision) and have
never run linpack.  It doesn't make money.

We get systems in and within hours/days we have them in production, making
money.

On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 3:26 PM John Hearns <hearnsj at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Stu, congratulations on that project. There must have been an enormous
> amount of effort behind the scenes there.
> Wish I could be helping with it!
>
> I am slightly intrigued by the emphasis on single precision FLOPS. Is that
> because the codes run with single precision,
> or is it that you find this a good metric of performance? I note no Top500
> reference in the press release - you concentrate on the capability
> of the service for your customer (*)
> I guess I would extend that to comment that it is often said that Amazon,
> Azure, Google etc. all have the raw compute power to place very highly in
> the Top 500.
> However it is probably not worth their time to (a) do the engineering to
> get HPL running across datacentres   and (b) set aside time on huge numbers
> of servers which should be making money for them should.
>
> Thinking out loud, I guess this is reflected in the traditional HPC Top500
> - Top500 runs normally being doen in the commissioning phase as a good
> workout for the system, and indeed again in traditional HPC the ratio of
> achieved to theoretical peak is a good metric - too low an you know
> something is wrong.
>
> (*)  I just did a sanity check. The Top500 site does say:  . In
> particular, the operation count for the algorithm must be 2/3 n^3 + O(n^2)
> double precision floating point operations.
>

> On Fri, 12 Oct 2018 at 07:57, Stu Midgley <sdm900 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> https://www.datacenterknowledge.com/supercomputers/skybox-build-houston-data-center-massive-oil-and-gas-supercomputer
>>

>> https://www.dug.com/blog/dug-announces-unique-cloud-service-geophysics-industry/
>>
>> https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20181011005476/en/Australia
>> ’s-DownUnder-GeoSolutions-Selects-Skybox-Datacenters-Houston
>>

>> --
>> Dr Stuart Midgley
>> sdm900 at gmail.com

Dr Stuart Midgley