[Beowulf] More about those underwater data centers

Stu Midgley sdm900 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 03:02:46 PST 2018

As far as I can tell, they are just using the salt water to reject the heat
to.  How they get the heat from the cpu/hot bits to the water is not
clearly stated...

A passive heat exchanger would make energy sense... but would cost a bomb
in engineering...  maybe direct fluid cooling (asetek) with a
heat-exchanger to the salt water?

Either way, its stupid.  They could just easily pump the cool salt water
from the ocean into a DC, reject heat to it using the same methods... and
pump it back to the ocean.  Since no real delta in height, it would be
efficient in energy.

OR... just use a boat...

On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 2:27 PM <jaquilina at eagleeyet.net> wrote:

> Probably a stupid question here,
>
> What is the advantage of using salty sea water lets say over for example
> mineral oil? I have seen on you tube these guys showing that a pc will
> still run in a fish tank and all components submerged in mineral oil?
> Yes it will be messier to change components but would the use of mineral
> oil be more efficient?
>

> On 2018-11-04 14:10, Gerald Henriksen wrote:
> > On Sat, 3 Nov 2018 18:27:05 +0000, you wrote:
> >
> >> I’m not sure there’s a huge population of Xcloud-Xbox gamers in
> >> Orkney.  There's not much daylight this time of year, of course, so
> >> maybe that's what those Orcadians are up to.
> >
> > Likely just a convenient place for a second test unit.
> >
> > In a way this is just an extension of the idea/product Sun came up wth
> > where they put a datacentre in a shipping container with the idea that
> > you could quickly get the datacentre where it was needed.
> >
> > While I wouldn't say this won't fail, I think there is a lot of
> > attraction to the concept given not just the time lag do build a
> > traditional data centre (mentioned in the article), but even the cost
> > of real estate in many/most places people live these days.  Do you,
> > for one example, want to pay NYC rents or just throw a bunch of pods
> > in the Hudson?
> >
> > I guess once you accept the idea that we no longer maintain these
> > datacentres in the traditional way - we now just let hardware fail in
> > place and ignore it until it's time to replace all the hardware -
> > moving to smaller sealed units doesn't seem to strange.

Dr Stuart Midgley
sdm900 at gmail.com