[Beowulf] More about those underwater data centers

Gerald Henriksen ghenriks at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 06:10:23 PST 2018

On Sat, 3 Nov 2018 18:27:05 +0000, you wrote:

> I’m not sure there’s a huge population of Xcloud-Xbox gamers in Orkney.  There's not much daylight this time of year, of course, so maybe that's what those Orcadians are up to.

Likely just a convenient place for a second test unit.

In a way this is just an extension of the idea/product Sun came up wth
where they put a datacentre in a shipping container with the idea that
you could quickly get the datacentre where it was needed.

While I wouldn't say this won't fail, I think there is a lot of
attraction to the concept given not just the time lag do build a
traditional data centre (mentioned in the article), but even the cost
of real estate in many/most places people live these days.  Do you,
for one example, want to pay NYC rents or just throw a bunch of pods
in the Hudson?

I guess once you accept the idea that we no longer maintain these
datacentres in the traditional way - we now just let hardware fail in
place and ignore it until it's time to replace all the hardware -
moving to smaller sealed units doesn't seem to strange.