[Beowulf] Bright Cluster Manager

Douglas Eadline deadline at eadline.org
Thu May 3 14:12:53 PDT 2018

And, I forgot to mention, the other important aspect here is
reproducibility. Create/modify a code, put it in
a signed container (like Singularity), use it,
write the paper. Five years later the machine on which it ran is
gone, your new grad student wants to re-run some data. Easy, because it is
in a container just run it on any system that supports your
containers. No need to ask a kindly sysadmin to help you track down
libraries, compile, and run an older code.

--
Doug

> Here is where I see it going
>
> 1. Computer nodes with a base minimal generic Linux OS
>    (with PR_SET_NO_NEW_PRIVS in kernel, added in 3.5)
>
> 2. A Scheduler (that supports containers)
>
> 3. Containers (Singularity mostly)
>
> All "provisioning" is moved to the container. There will be edge cases
of course, but applications will be pulled down from
> a container repos and "just run"
>
> --
> Doug
>

>> I never used Bright.  Touched it and talked to a salesperson at a
conference but I wasn't impressed.

>> Unpopular opinion: I don't see a point in using "cluster managers"
unless you have a very tiny cluster and zero Linux experience.
These are just Linux boxes with a couple applications (e.g. Slurm)
running on them.  Nothing special. xcat/Warewulf/Scyld/Rocks just
get in the way more than they help IMO.  They are mostly crappy
wrappers around free software (e.g. ISC's dhcpd) anyway.  When they
aren't it's
>> proprietary
>> trash.
>>
>> I install CentOS nodes and use
>> Salt/Chef/Puppet/Ansible/WhoCares/Whatever to plop down my configs and
software.  This also means I'm not suck with "node images" and can
instead build everything as plain old text files (read: write SaltStack
states), update them at will, and push changes any time.  My "base
image" is CentOS and I need no "baby's first cluster" HPC software to
install/PXEboot it.  YMMV

>> Jeff White
>>
>> On 05/01/2018 01:57 PM, Robert Taylor wrote:
>>> Hi Beowulfers.
>>> Does anyone have any experience with Bright Cluster Manager?
>>> My boss has been looking into it, so I wanted to tap into the
>>> collective HPC consciousness and see
>>> what people think about it.
>>> It appears to do node management, monitoring, and provisioning, so we
would still need a job scheduler like lsf, slurm,etc, as well. Is that
correct?

>>> If you have experience with Bright, let me know. Feel free to contact
me off list or on.

>> --
>> MailScanner: Clean

> --