[Beowulf] Bright Cluster Manager

Douglas Eadline deadline at eadline.org
Thu May 3 06:04:38 PDT 2018

Here is where I see it going

1. Computer nodes with a base minimal generic Linux OS
   (with PR_SET_NO_NEW_PRIVS in kernel, added in 3.5)

2. A Scheduler (that supports containers)

3. Containers (Singularity mostly)

All "provisioning" is moved to the container. There will be edge cases of
course, but applications will be pulled down from
a container repos and "just run"

--
Doug

> I never used Bright.  Touched it and talked to a salesperson at a
> conference but I wasn't impressed.
>
> Unpopular opinion: I don't see a point in using "cluster managers"
> unless you have a very tiny cluster and zero Linux experience.  These
> are just Linux boxes with a couple applications (e.g. Slurm) running on
> them.  Nothing special. xcat/Warewulf/Scyld/Rocks just get in the way
> more than they help IMO.  They are mostly crappy wrappers around free
> software (e.g. ISC's dhcpd) anyway.  When they aren't it's proprietary
> trash.
>
> I install CentOS nodes and use
> Salt/Chef/Puppet/Ansible/WhoCares/Whatever to plop down my configs and
> software.  This also means I'm not suck with "node images" and can
> instead build everything as plain old text files (read: write SaltStack
> states), update them at will, and push changes any time.  My "base
> image" is CentOS and I need no "baby's first cluster" HPC software to
> install/PXEboot it.  YMMV
>

> Jeff White
>
> On 05/01/2018 01:57 PM, Robert Taylor wrote:
>> Hi Beowulfers.
>> Does anyone have any experience with Bright Cluster Manager?
>> My boss has been looking into it, so I wanted to tap into the
>> collective HPC consciousness and see
>> what people think about it.
>> It appears to do node management, monitoring, and provisioning, so we
>> would still need a job scheduler like lsf, slurm,etc, as well. Is that
>> correct?
>>
>> If you have experience with Bright, let me know. Feel free to contact
>> me off list or on.

> --
> MailScanner: Clean

Doug