[Beowulf] FPGA storage accelerator

Chris Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Fri Jun 8 19:15:07 PDT 2018

On Saturday, 9 June 2018 5:57:02 AM AEST Lux, Jim (337K) wrote:

> ATM… I remember it well-  it was going to be: “100 Mbps + to the desktop!”
> so you don’t have rely on an ISDN PRI or a 10Mbps ethernet.

Ah yes, I had an OC3 link to my DEC Alpha from the network we built, 155Mbps
to my desktop in the mid 1990s! :-)

> I remember well ATM’s short packets (so you don’t need echo suppressors
> within continental France)

Yeah, France wanted 32 byte payloads for that, the rest of the world wanted 64
bytes so they compromised and we got 48 bytes (plus header giving 53 byte
cells).  Not sure how that worked out for France in the end! :-/