[Beowulf] Project Natick

Lux, Jim (337K) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Jun 8 13:36:05 PDT 2018

Where, exactly, is this... I spent a week in Orkney a few years ago (we drove up from Glasgow, also an interesting proposition) - it's worth a visit for the prehistoric archaeology (largest prehistoric settlement still preserved at Skara Brae, for instance, but realistically the dig at the Ness of Brodgar (http://www.nessofbrodgar.com/) is more interesting.  And, of course in the summer, it never really gets dark at night. Don't go in the Winter.

Did they sink it off the northern coast in Kirkwall or on the south side at Scapa Flow? (where there's plenty of sunken ships to keep it company)

They talk about how harsh the environment is - yeah, there's not many trees on the islands, but the water is surprisingly warm, and the waves aren't all that big. It's nothing like being on an oil rig in the North Sea, for instance (I've not been there, but have heard stories). Scapa Flow is apparently a big scuba diving destination, for instance.

Sounds a bit like a "let's make a good PR story out of this" - and with convenient access to civilization - Orkney is a whole lot more comfortable than a lot of other places off the coast of Scotland (or France, for that matter)

On 6/7/18, 2:19 PM, "Beowulf on behalf of Chris Samuel" <beowulf-bounces at beowulf.org on behalf of chris at csamuel.org> wrote:

    On Friday, 8 June 2018 12:20:04 AM AEST Prentice Bisbal wrote:

    > I imagine it would have to be filtered, too, to keep small marine life
    > and debris from clogging up the piping. I wonder if any forms of marine
    > life in that part of the ocean would  like the warm water inside the
    > heat exchangers or at the exhaust and try to make it their homes.

    Seaweed and jellyfish have been known to cause issues for Scottish nuclear
    reactors, so I suspect this wouldn't be immune to those worries either!

    http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/16066525.Scots_nuclear_reactor_shut_down_over_seaweed_concern/

    All the best,
    Chris