[Beowulf] Project Natick

Lux, Jim (337K) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Jun 8 13:02:50 PDT 2018

    I imagine it would have to be filtered, too, to keep small marine life
    and debris from clogging up the piping.

Filtered through a Millipore filter? Keeping things from growing on your underwater stuff is tough. Of course, you could just make it out of copper, good thermal conductivity, hostile to marine growth.

 I wonder if any forms of marine
    life in that part of the ocean would  like the warm water inside the
    heat exchangers or at the exhaust and try to make it their homes.
    >> What is interesting is that these servers are all equipped with FPGAs:
    > Going after the bitcoin crowd perhaps?

Or, just for marketing (speaking as a cynical kind of dude, sometimes) - "Our nodes have FPGA, not like those inferior nodes from competitor X"

I can't imagine a bitcoin miner "buying compute cycles" - Do it by making a "deal" with the government to give you cheap joules and share the proceeds either above or below the table.