[Beowulf] Project Natick

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 6 07:55:03 PDT 2018

Reading into this a bit more on the Microsoft site, the intention is to
power these things using renewables such as wind or tidal power.
I've never been to Orkney, but as it famously has no trees ther eis plenty
of wind I am sure...

Might make sense actually as they say for remote communities.
The cynic in me says why in the heck would a remote community NEED 12 or
more racks of servers, but this wont be for local use.
It makes sense in terms of having free cost power (OK - I know the true
cost is the construction of a wind turbine or two) and free cost cooling.
The total power is 240kW which is a respectable amount of power - not as
dense as big HPC installations these days, but pretty respectable.

One sincerely hopes that if things like this do get deployed in the ocean
then the steel module, the wind turbine and the servers are recycled at the
end of life and not just abandoned.