[Beowulf] Lustre Upgrades

Michael Di Domenico mdidomenico4 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 09:51:04 PDT 2018

On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 11:59 AM, Paul Edmon <pedmon at cfa.harvard.edu> wrote:
> Should we just write off upgrading and stand up new servers
> that are on the correct version (in which case we need to transfer the
> several PB's worth of data over to the new system)?

if you can afford the hardware and the time for the copy, this would
certainly be the best option... :)

I've always done it that way as well.  Lustre can be a scary upgrade
and I've generally found that by the time I'm ready to update the
machines the hardware has been abused for 2 or 3 years anyhow, so
swapping out the hardware that's supporting a filesystem generally
seemed like a good todo, certainly not a necessity though.

my understanding (i haven't done it yet) is that the later versions of
lustre >2.5 using zfs the upgrades have become more of a regular thing
with much less concern.