[Beowulf] [upgrade strategy] Intel CPU design bug & security flaw - kernel fix imposes performance penalty

Prentice Bisbal pbisbal at pppl.gov
Mon Jan 8 11:01:31 PST 2018

Any statement from Intel, or any other chip manufacturer regarding the
performance impact of these fixes should be viewed with a healthy dose
of skepticism.  These companies have an interest in downplaying the
impact of these exploits/fixes to protect their stock prices.

I would believe the performance of 3rd-party companies who have measured
the performance, like RHEL who support multiple processor vendors (AMD,
Intel, etc.), and have less interest in a specific processor selling
better or worse. I would believe these numbers from RHEL more than I
would  those from Intel:

https://access.redhat.com/articles/3307751