[Beowulf] [upgrade strategy] Intel CPU design bug & security flaw - kernel fix imposes performance penalty

Gerald Henriksen ghenriks at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 16:35:45 PST 2018

On Fri, 5 Jan 2018 17:32:19 -0500, you wrote:

>According to several articles I read today:
>
>Meltdown (1 exploit)is Intel-specific
>Spectre  (2 different exploits) affects just about every processor on
>the planet.

This is correct, and the other key difference is that so far there is
only a solution to Meltdown.

The below linked page has this to say about Spectre:

"As it is not easy to fix, it will haunt us for quite some time"

Fedora has linked to this page for more info on the two:

https://spectreattack.com/