[Beowulf] Intel CPU design bug & security flaw - kernel fix imposes performance penalty

Lux, Jim (337K) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Jan 3 09:47:42 PST 2018

I should think that in a "dedicated cluster" application, these sorts of security problems are less of an issue - whether a process can figure out what memory space other processes are in is more of an issue for machines "open to the world with heterogeneous applications" (i.e. 99.9% of the machines out there).
The scenario from the article:
"Imagine a piece of JavaScript running in a browser, or malicious software running on a shared public cloud server, able to sniff sensitive kernel-protected data."

I'll bet there's not a whole lot of HPC code written in Javascript running in a browser..
(not that someone hasn't done it, as a stunt..  Is there a MPI library binding for Javascript?)

And, if you're running HPC "in the cloud" on VMs, this is an issue.

I suppose the down side is that if they do kernel mods to fix this for the 99.9%, it adversely affects the performance for the 0.1% (that is, us).

Jim Lux
(818)354-2075 (office)
(818)395-2714 (cell)