[Beowulf] Storage Best Practices

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Mon Feb 19 08:08:13 PST 2018

No policy here.  People can keep stuff as long as they like.  I don’t agree with that lack of policy, but that’s where we are.

We did propose a 90 day limit, about 10 years ago.  It lasted about, er, 90 days, before faculty started screaming.  ☺

Tim

On 19/02/2018, 15:31, "Beowulf on behalf of Skylar Thompson" <beowulf-bounces at beowulf.org<mailto:beowulf-bounces at beowulf.org> on behalf of skylar.thompson at gmail.com<mailto:skylar.thompson at gmail.com>> wrote:

For our larger groups, we'll meet with them regularly to discuss their space usage (and other IT needs). Even that's unlikely to be frequent enough, so we direct usage alerts to their designated "data manager" if they're getting close to running out of space. Aside from regularly clearing out scratch space, though, we try to stay out of deletion decisions, to avoid problems stemming from miscommunication between the group and IT, or even within the group (left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing).
Skylar