[Beowulf] ipoib routing

Chris Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Tue Dec 11 22:47:35 PST 2018

On 11/12/18 2:40 pm, John Hearns via Beowulf wrote:

> Michael, yes.  Panasas engineered IPOIB to Ethernet routers for their
> storage platform. Remember that until the latest generation of their kit
> they ran on BSD, which had no Infiniband capability. Panasas IB routers
> booted from an onboard SATA DOM, which was quite a neat solution.

Sounds like they've changed a bit since we had them at VLSCI (circa
2010), they were just two SuperMicro 2-in-1U boxes, each with a QDR IB
and 10gigE and with a relatively vanilla CentOS 5 install and a script
to configure them.

Mind you they didn't need to be complicated, they just ran and ran. We
lost 1 at one point due to a hardware problem and the solution was to
replace the whole unit of 2 nodes. From memory we just needed to take
the routes out of the Panasas config and the cluster they were routing
for (and put them back when the replacement arrived).

All the best,
Chris