[Beowulf] Intel kills Knights Hill, Xeon Phi line "being revised"

Lux, Jim (337K) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Nov 21 10:03:01 PST 2017

As someone who works in a government funded research lab (as do many other list members, I suspect), there’s a lot of other factors that go into the seemingly bizarre funding and development stuff.  Here’s a partial list  - not specific to this instance, but just in general.

1)      The “name” sponsor isn’t always the one actually interested in the final product – money gets shuffled around via Interagency Authorizations and funding vehicles.  Typically a given lab will have a “prime contract” or “master contract” with one government agency (NASA in the case of JPL, where I am). All the work you do is on task orders under that master contract.  If someone else (e.g. DoD, DHS, DoE) wants something done by JPL, they IA or MIPR money to NASA, who sends it to JPL.

2)      There is a desire to keep competencies at various centers – in order to be an intelligent consumer, it helps to have built one – I venture to say that folks who are on this list (almost all of whom have at least tried to build a cluster) are better at buying a cluster from someone else.

3)      Political considerations – The senator from the great state of Ruritania takes pride in having the worlds fastest computer and jobs for all those STEM grad students connecting patch cords in his/her state.

4)      Workforce retention – Building the worlds fastest computer is interesting work – for technical people, the single factor that keeps them in their job, and not jumping elsewhere (assuming they’re paid some reasonable amount) is “I get to do interesting work”.   You may be HPC’ing for half your time, and doing lethally boring contract monitoring (watching Other People do interesting work) the other half of your time.  You don’t leap out of bed in the morning saying, I hope that monthly financial statement has arrived so I can review it.

Jim Lux
(818)354-2075 (office)
(818)395-2714 (cell)