[Beowulf] Intel kills Knights Hill, Xeon Phi line "being revised"

Stu Midgley sdm900 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 17:22:53 PST 2017

We have found that running in cached/quadrant mode gives excellent
performance.  With our codes, the optimal is 2threads per core.  KNL broke
the model of KNC which did a full context change every clock cycle (so you
HAD to have multiple threads per core) which has had the roll-on effect of
reducing the number of threads required to run to get maximum performance.
However, if your code scales to 128 threads... it probably scales to 240.
So it probably doesn't matter.

The programming model is much easier than GPU's.  We have codes running
(extremely fast) on KNL that no one has managed to get running on GPU's
(mostly due to the memory model of the GPU).

So you shouldn't write them off.  No matter which way you turn, you will
most likely have x86 and lots of corse... and those cores will have AVX512
going forward (and probably later AVX1024 or what ever they'll call it).
So, make sure your code vectorises and has no thread-blocking points.

--
Dr Stuart Midgley
sdm900 at gmail.com