[Beowulf] OpenFOAM and GPUs?

Christopher Samuel samuel at unimelb.edu.au
Wed Mar 29 23:48:44 PDT 2017

On 30/03/17 17:45, John Hearns wrote:

> Chris,

Hi John,

>    I know little of OpenFOAM on GPUs.
>
> However I would say that if you are looking for performance gains returns for your efforts,
> look at compiling up the existing code with a modern GCC and use the AVX units on the latest
> Xeons.   It is said that OpenFOAM will compile using the Intel compilers.

Thanks - this is actually research for a procurement that I'm helping
with, the question I have is really "is there any current work to
support OpenFOAM on GPUs?".

> I would say that looking at Xeon Phi would be a better fit to OpenFOAM. I may be wrong.

Depends on your Xeon Phi, we have KNC which have barely been used in the
time we've had them from what I can tell. :-(

All the best!
Chris
 Melbourne Bioinformatics - The University of Melbourne