[Beowulf] ethernet performance testing

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Mar 17 07:33:20 PDT 2017

This is a bit of a blast from the past question.. Back when Beowulfs were the “new hot thing”, we all used Ethernet as the interconnect
There was a bunch of traffic on the list about measuring Ethernet performance using various utilities, and all the ways to optimize the performance (zero copy Ethernet drivers and the like, some interfaces just being slow, etc.).

What’s the current strategy and tools for looking at the Ethernet stack and identify?  I have a colleague who is working with a software radio peripheral (USRP) that streams samples out, and he’s getting better performance with USB3 than with GigE - it may be that this is just the way it works USB is dedicated master/client, while GigE is peer to peer.   So I suggested he do some back to back testing using a pair of PCs to know what the limit is.

And he turned it around and asked “so what tools can I use?”

iperf?
netcat?

I’ll dig through the archives too..

James Lux, P.E.