[Beowulf] clusters of beagles

Skylar Thompson skylar.thompson at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 06:39:09 PST 2017

On 01/27/2017 12:14 PM, Lux, Jim (337C) wrote:
> The pack of Beagles do have local disk storage (there¹s a 2GB flash on
> board with a Debian image that it boots from).
>
> The LittleFe depends on the BCDD (i.e. ³CD rom with cluster image²,
> actually a USB stick) which is the sort of thing I was hoping for, but it
> is x86.
> OTOH, maybe that¹s a pattern to start with.  the BCDD also runs out of
> RAM, which may or may not be a good model.
>
> An interesting challenge

BCCD actually does support a "liberated" mode (RAM disk copied to
persistent storage). We're also not tied to x86 - we actually used to
have a PPC port, and are considering supporting ARM now that there's
some educational-scale HPC platforms (small multi-core boards w/ 2+GB
RAM, GPGPU, wifi, on-board wired Ethernet) available.

Skylar