[Beowulf] clusters of beagles

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Jan 27 12:04:18 PST 2017

On 1/27/17, 11:40 AM, "Beowulf on behalf of Lux, Jim (337C)"
<beowulf-bounces at beowulf.org on behalf of james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:

>Are there peculiarities of Rpi/Beagle (stemming from ARM rather than x86,
>and the default distro) that makes them incompatible?  I don¹t know.
>Rocks,  for instance, is CentOS based - Beagles come with Debian..
>
>Actually, not having to ³build my own cluster² for a surprisingly long
>time, I¹m totally unaware of what¹s out there for ³small demo cluster
>install²..
>For instance, there¹s no CDROM drive on most of these things <grin>
>And net boot might be a bit different (they don¹t have the nominal x86 PC
>bios). Andrew posted a link about net booting Rpi
>
>It might be easiest to figure out how to put a distro of some sort on an
>SD card and sneaker net that around (you¹re not going to be building a
>1000 node Beagle cluster (or is that a pack of Beagles, and a lug or
>bushel of Raspberries)
>
>I should have some BBGs showing up in the mail today or tomorrow..

The advantage of some of those earlier cluster distro’s is that literally,
they were plug and play - you could get a bunch of Pcs, hook them up to
the network, stick in the CDROM, and an hour later, have your cluster
running - no compiler and glibc version issues, etc.  because the software
needed was already compiled with the requisite Linux, etc.