[Beowulf] HPC cloud bursting providers?

Gavin W. Burris bug at wharton.upenn.edu
Tue Feb 21 06:13:00 PST 2017

Hello, Jeff.

This is in production here at Wharton.  Over a year ago, we started offering cloud bursting to our faculty that had needs beyond a fairshare of the HPCC.  Univa UniCloud is our solution.  With an AWS config per project, cloud compute nodes may be launched al a carte on the PI's budget.  This is all defined in configuration management in a git repo.

Two big steps... We are now using the same Ansible playbooks to configure both cloud images and on-prem hardware nodes.  And, with a hardware VPN, a private Amazon subnet (VPC) becomes an extension of the data center network.  These make the cloud a binary-compatible, seamless extension of our HPCC environment.  Latency between local and cloud is the main difference.

Cheers.