[Beowulf] Suggestions to what DFS to use

John Hanks griznog at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 23:31:00 PST 2017

I can't compare it to Lustre currently, but in the theme of general, we
have 4 major chunks of storage:

1. (~500 TB) DDN SFA12K running gridscaler (GPFS) but without GPFS clients
on nodes, this is presented to the cluster through cNFS.

2. (~250 TB) SuperMicro 72 bay server. Running CentOS 6.8, ZFS presented
via NFS

3. (~ 460 TB) SuperMicro 90 dbay JBOD fronted by a SuperMIcro 2u server
with 2 x LSI 3008 SAS/SATA cards. Running CentOS 7.2, ZFS and BeeGFS
2015.xx. BeeGFS clients on all nodes.

4. (~ 12 TB) SuperMicro 48 bay NVMe server, running CentOS 7.2, ZFS
presented via NFS

Depending on your benchmark, 1, 2 or 3 may be faster. GPFS falls over
wheezing under load. ZFS/NFS single server falls over wheezing under
slightly less load. BeeGFS tends to fall over a bit more gracefully under
load.  Number 4, NVMe doesn't care what you do, your load doesn't impress
it at all, bring more.

We move workloads around to whichever storage has free space and works best
and put anything metadata or random I/O-ish that will fit onto the NVMe
based storage.

Now, in the theme of specific, why are we using BeeGFS and why are we
currently planning to buy about 4 PB of supermicro to put behind it? When
we asked about improving the performance of the DDN, one recommendation was
to buy GPFS client licenses for all our nodes. The quoted price was about
100k more than we wound up spending on the 460 additional TB of Supermicro
storage and BeeGFS, which performs as well or better. I fail to see the
inherent value of DDN/GPFS that makes it worth that much of a premium in
our environment. My personal opinion is that I'll take hardware over
licenses any day of the week. My general grumpiness towards vendors isn't
improved by the DDN looking suspiciously like a SuperMicro system when I
pull the shiny cover off. Of course, YMMV certainly applies here. But
there's also that incident where we had to do an offline fsck to clean up
some corrupted GPFS foo and the mmfsck tool had an assertion error, not a
warm fuzzy moment...

Last example, we recently stood up a small test cluster built out of
workstations and threw some old 2TB drives in every available slot, then
used BeeGFS to glue them all together. Suddenly there is a 36 TB filesystem
where before there was just old hardware. And as a bonus, it'll do
sustained 2 GB/s for streaming large writes. It's worth a look.

jbh