[Beowulf] cold spare storage?

Benson Muite benson.muite at ut.ee
Thu Aug 17 14:26:07 PDT 2017

On 08/17/2017 09:54 PM, mathog wrote:
> On 17-Aug-2017 11:10, Alex Chekholko wrote:
>> The Google paper from a few years ago showed essentially no correlations
>> between the things you ask about and failure rates.  So... do whatever is
>> most convenient for you.
>
> This one?
>
>    http://research.google.com/archive/disk_failures.pdf
>
> They didn't do a control where they put some drives on a shelf and then
> tested
> them later. Nor did they (as far as I can tell) do a control with
> installed disks powered on but not spun up.  Every disk they tested was
> fully "live".  It is true that they didn't see any big difference based
> on usage, temperature, or vibration (to the limited extent they could
> measure this).
>
> Also that study was published in 2007 so the 5 year failure rates are
> for disks which were made in 2001 or 2002.  That is a long, long time
> ago in terms of disk technology and density.  I'm not even sure that I
> believe their results from 10 years ago are still fully applicable to
> current disks.
>
> Regards,
>
> David Mathog
> mathog at caltech.edu

Related study at:
http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~bianca/papers/fast07.pdf

Computer failure data repository seems to be not so active
(https://www.usenix.org/cfdr)

May suggest some of these issues be considered in VI4IO (might also get
an answer to this question there as well) -
https://www.vi4io.org/contribute/start