[Beowulf] Underwater data centers -- the future?

Christopher Samuel samuel at unimelb.edu.au
Sun Sep 11 23:08:27 PDT 2016

On 09/09/16 20:48, John Hearns wrote:

> I was raised in the town of Clydebank - home to a huge Singer
> manufacturing plan. They had their own power station, and discharged
> hot cooling water into the local canal.  The canal was famous for
> having giant goldfish a foot long.

At the risk of going well off-topic, you don't need a heat source for
giant goldfish, just an environment where they can mature.

http://www.rswa.org.au/publications/Journal/90(3)/vol90pt3151-156l.pdf

# The largest fish captured was 411 mm TL and weighed approximately
# 2.2 kg and was in its eighth year of life.

- Feral Goldfish (Carassius auratus) in Western Australia:
  a case study from the Vasse River (2007)

That's 1 foot 4 inches in old money.