[Beowulf] User notification of new software on the cluster

Christopher Samuel samuel at unimelb.edu.au
Thu Oct 6 18:37:05 PDT 2016

On 29/09/16 21:03, John Hanks wrote:

> Acknowledging that this is an area where personal preference and
> existing culture play a very big role in what works for any given
> group/environment, I'll attempt an answer noting how this works for us.
> Warning: I'm prone to ranting...

Thanks so much for the background there!

Agree with an awful lot of what you say there, the only proviso I have
from our end is that we have 0 budget for that so we'd need to stick to
the free version so permanence of messages could be an issue.

But, having said that, I found out yesterday that an on-staff scientist
had set up a Slack for our users already.  He's not got any interest in
it yet because it's not been advertised, but I reckon now I know about
it I might chat to him when I'm back from leave about giving it a proper go.

...and yes, whoever thought up ITIL never had to deal with people who
keep saying "can you install this software from git - just whatever is
master at the moment please".. :-)

cheers,
Chris