[Beowulf] recommendations on ARM distro?

C Bergström cbergstrom at pathscale.com
Sun May 15 21:14:35 PDT 2016

Sorry for the top post
--------
Without knowing exactly what the OP's problem with LDAP, I'm not sure
I'd be so hasty as blame the whole ARM(v8) community just yet.
Overall, I think significant progress on getting "software" working
has been made, at least in terms of open source projects. At this
point I think it's more like bug fix + optimization phase.

Talking in specifics from a low level - the Advantage that ARMv8* has
over x86 is simple, beautiful ISA. (From a compiler/arch perspective)
I imagine this clean slate start will also allow ARM and implementors
to do more efficient designs. Future vector extensions will hopefully
help HPC workloads and then "we're" off to the races.

I doubt Intel is "distracted" with anything to the point of neglecting
an important market.. The biggest competitive advantage they have is a
unified fab+design process. That seems to keep them ahead and quite
competitive in the desktop to server space. Mobile hides these details
behind many layers and you simply pay less for something which taped
out at 45nm and battery doesn't last as long. (It's also easier to
make a design which is "efficient" at 800Mhz vs the 3-4Ghz range that
x86 is pushing when boosted)

If you look at things historically, the cost of early prototype and
development boards has never been less for emerging platforms. The
fact it's not in the "budget" price range only delays hobbyists from
having fun.