[Beowulf] AMD cards with integrated SSD slots

Brian Oborn linuxpunk at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 14:53:10 PDT 2016

I noticed that AMD is coming out with a new line of Pro cards that have
two PCIe 3.0 M.2 slots for caching 1TB of content on the card.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10518/amd-announces-radeon-pro-ssg-fiji-with-m2-ssds-onboard

I'm wondering what the list's thoughts are on the following questions:

1) Is AMD relevant in HPC anymore? In the Top500 list I only found two
older systems that had AMD video cards and none that had AMD CPUs. Does
anyone here run smaller newer AMD clusters?

2) Are there many workloads that would benefit from this type of cache? I
think trying to juggle GPU RAM, system RAM, GPU storage, system storage,
and inter-node networking might make this too difficult to scale beyond a
single system?

Thanks,

Brian Oborn