[Beowulf] Broadwell HPL performance

John Hearns John.Hearns at xma.co.uk
Thu Apr 21 07:11:17 PDT 2016

Doug,

I read the same report and that what was confusing me too.
I don't get quite those numbers, but what I get is impressive.

Predicting the theoretical peak performance of a CPU socket these days is not an exact science, as I suppose it once was when mechanical relays were clicking on and off (*)
When AVX is running on a core it will clock down, and there seems to be a 'fudge factor' of 2 applied to reflect then gains which the FMA instructions give you.  Interesting stuff anyway.

(*) I bet it was nt an exact science then either!