[Beowulf] Mellanox UFM question

Jeff Becker jeffrey.c.becker at nasa.gov
Tue Sep 15 10:55:03 PDT 2015

On 09/15/2015 10:30 AM, Jörg Saßmannshausen wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
>
> no, not yet.
> What I want to avoid is: I try the OFED subnet manager and it does not work
> and then I have to wait until I get the licence. This project has enough
> delays right now and I don't want to add to it. Hence my question.
>
> Having said that: are you happy with the OFED one?

Just to be clear, we are using the subnet manager from Mellanox OFED,
and yes we are happy with it. However, note that Mellanox made several
improvements over opensm (from OFED), and in fact it is one of the few
parts of Mellanox OFED that is NOT open (ibutils2 is another), and is
distributed as a binary only. Although we have been told that the subnet
manager improvements will eventually make it to opensm, I don't know
when that might happen.

Cheers!

-jeff