[Beowulf] F1 to go CFD only?

Prentice Bisbal prentice.bisbal at rutgers.edu
Wed Oct 14 13:26:37 PDT 2015

Ultimately, I think this is a step in the wrong direction for F1 from a
safety point of view. F1 has made HUGE strides in safety since the death
of Ayrton Senna. So much so that Robert Kubica hit a wall almost head-on
at 180MPH and walked away from it in 2007. (Google the video it's pretty
amazing).

If they eliminate wind tunnel testing altogether, it's just a matter of
time until a bug in a CFD code allows an silly engineering error to lead
to a catastrophic accident on the track, something at a wind tunnel test
would catch. Wind tunnel testing is much more foolproof (humanproof?)
than code.

--
Prentice