[Beowulf] LSI Megaraid stalls system on very high IO?

mathog mathog at caltech.edu
Thu May 14 13:28:30 PDT 2015

On 14 May 2015 09:41:07 +1000 Christopher Samuel wrote:
> On 14/05/15 08:57, mathog wrote:
>
> [...]
>> cat /sys/block/dm*/queue/scheduler
>> none
>> none
> [...]
>> How is it possible to mount a volume, Raid or no, with no scheduler???
>
> I think you're looking in the wrong place; you need to look at the sys
> files for the disk (sda, sdb, or variations if your RAID controller
> registers them differently) rather than the Device Mapper (DM) entries.
>  They don't have IO schedulers associated with them.

Hmm...

Ah, I see the mix up.  There is a "/dev/sda" entry in /etc/fstab for an
ntfs
volume, but /etc/mtab shows

/dev/sda1 /boot ext4 rw 0 0

and fdisk run on /dev/sda lists it as a single 8 Tb disk.  So sda is the
raid after all.  sda is using cfq scheduling.

> As for swap, could it be someone built it with a kickstart that defined
> it that way?

Pretty sure he just put in the Centos install DVD and let it default for
most things, most likely including swap.

Thanks,

David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu