[Beowulf] Cluster networking/OSs

Jörg Saßmannshausen j.sassmannshausen at ucl.ac.uk
Fri May 8 13:35:54 PDT 2015

Hi Trevor,

what kind of jobs do you want to run on the cluster?

What I am after is: is it mainly number crunching, large parallel jobs,
serial jobs, jobs which do a lot of disc IO, need much memory,
visualisation.....

For example, I am not the 'master' of 8 clusters and most of them have
different purposes. The largest cluster has a fast InfiniBand network as
people are running parallel jobs there, sometimes up to 128 cores or so.
Large for that cluster but still tiny for others, I know.
A different cluster has a web interface for the users, so here they can
submit structures, see whether they have been calculated before, re-do
it or just get the results. So here I have installed a webserver and a
database (both in virtual machines, incidentally).

I am using Debian as the OS here, with wheezy and jessie for the
versions. I use PXE for the installation of the nodes which gives me the
advantage I got a rescue OS as well in case there is a disc problem. The
nodes get their IP from a DHCP server and I am running a local DNS
server so the command

$ ssh node1

does actually work throughout the cluster.

I hope that helps you a little bit.

All the best from a sunny Graz where I am on vacation!

Jörg