[Beowulf] 10G networking?

Douglas Eadline deadline at eadline.org
Fri Jan 23 08:02:33 PST 2015

Mark,

I have been pleasantly surprised by the performance of Chelsio.
My tests are very small scale (no switch) and the hardware I'm
testing is for my Limulus desk side cluster.

I ran netpipe TCP and got latencies of 9us back-to-back (SFP+)
Hopping through a two port adapter I got 18 us.

I then tried openMX. On omx_perf I got the following latencies,

 0 hops 5.503 us (Head to n0)
 1 hops 10.438 us (Head to n1)
 2 hops 15.829 us (Head to n2)

The network is a simple linear connection. looks like this

  head --- n0 --- n1 --- n2

I ran HPL and the results went from 395.2 GFLOPS with 1 GbE to
567.4 GFLOPS with 10 GbE. I saw similar improvements in NAS latency
sensitie codes. The white paper with the data is being prepared
right now.

These test were for Chelsio T420-SO-CR (low cost stripped down
2 port NICS) I just received a 4-port 10 GbE card that I'm going to
test with both the Chelsio T520-SO-CR (2 port) and the Mellanox MCX311A
(1 port) The idea is 4-ports on the head node connected to each of
three compute nodes, with the remaining port open for expansion.

For my purposes, small low cost desk-side HPC, 10-GbE is
an excellent option.

--
Doug

--