[Beowulf] [OOM killer/scheduler] disabling swap on cluster nodes?

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Tue Feb 10 11:02:47 PST 2015

> ?Do you know if remote swap is working well now? I remember it working not
> so good because it's a difficult problem, but I haven't tested it lately.?

I suspect remote swap works better now, in part because systems have
been moving more towards specialized allocators.  (motivated by wanting
to scale-per-core, for instance.)  it was always possible to make
network-swap robust: all it takes is enough partitioning of storage
pools, so that you don't run into an allocation-swap-allocation gotcha.

is net-swap really ever a good idea?  it always seems like asking for
trouble, though in principle there's no reason why net IO should be
"worse" than disk IO...