[Beowulf] interesting article on HPC vs evolution of 'big data' analysis

Douglas Eadline deadline at eadline.org
Thu Apr 9 10:39:55 PDT 2015

Parallel programming is hard. By extension so are MPI and
other methods to express parallelism. Is that news?
No.

Should the biologist* use MPI?
If they want to, but probably not a good idea.

Are there alternatives?
Of course, and it depends on what you want to do.

Should we be developing other parallel programming languages
and methods?
Yes, people are.

Does one size fit all?
No.

Is Exascale and MPI a big deal?
To the extent that it is providing a platform to learn
new things about computing and nature, Yes.
To the extent that most people need Exascale performance, No.

Should I mention Hadoop, Big Data, and Cloud because it
they currently have a positive slope on marketing charts?
No.

--
Doug

*any domain expert who does not have a programming/HPC background.

--
Doug

--
Mailscanner: Clean