[Beowulf] RFC: Policy on CFP's being sent to the Beowulf list

Ashley Pittman ashley at pittman.co.uk
Wed Mar 19 04:36:43 PDT 2014

On 18 Mar 2014, at 04:06, Christopher Samuel <samuel at unimelb.edu.au> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> We've been getting a fair few CFPs coming in from the hpc-announce
> list that the Beowulf list was subscribed to a long time ago (from
> what I can tell).  They do get moderated and I've been culling those
> that have no (IMHO) relevance to the world of Beowulf computing.
>
> I would very much like to solicit peoples feelings on these.
>
> What do you feel about these CFPs?

I find the signal to noise ratio of the hpc-announce list to be lower than that of the Beowulf list - and hpc-annouce gets a surprisingly large number of postings.

Given that it’s easy enough for people to subscribe to hpc-announce and anything posted would be unlikely to provoke (on-topic) discussion on the Beowulf list I don’t see any advantage from accepting them.

Ashley.