[Beowulf] Intel’s 800Gbps cables headed to cloud data centers and supercomputers

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Wed Mar 12 10:44:52 PDT 2014

> I agree with your point, but I still think this is an interesting
> development, since we need to keep pushing the limits to move forward over
> the long-run.

I'm not saying it's bad, just that without tapping into a big market,
it's hard to see why it would survive.

> * I put 'big data' in quotes to show my contempt for the term.

well, the irony is that "classic" bigdata is characterized by a system
architecture specifically designed to avoid bandwidth hotspots.
work goes to the data (always a good idea if you can manage it!)

in this sense, this connector is the antithesis of BD.