[Beowulf] Gentoo in the HPC environment

Gavin W. Burris bug at wharton.upenn.edu
Mon Jun 30 06:22:27 PDT 2014

Hi, Jonathan.

If you have access to a RHEL or CentOS 6 system, you can see
all the running kernel options in one of these files:
/usr/src/kernels/`uname -r`/.config
/boot/config-`uname -r`

I get what your saying about optimization.  I understand Gentoo touts
the ability to recompile EVERYTHING with custom compiler options.  But,
like I've said, you are then in unsupported territory.  I am protective
of my time; I prefer not to double-check that fiddling with the build
environment does not break each individual piece of installed software.
I am also wary of over-optimizing and created subtle bugs / decelerating
codes!  :D  Give your users the latest Intel compiler for their
applications instead, since that is where the majority of your CPU time
is spent.

The following document has lots of good optimization info.  Much of what
is said here may be applicable to Linux, in-general.  I cannot overstate
the added value engineers at Red Hat are contributing here by testing
all of this as a whole.
https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/pdf/Performance_Tuning_Guide/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux-6-Performance_Tuning_Guide-en-US.pdf

That said, nothing is stopping you from rebuilding a CentOS kernel with
different options and sticking it in a local yum repo.  Also, you can do
a very minimal install; The default happens to be just that, default.
I'm looking at a not-so-minimal boot of CentOS 6, 113 MB memory used.

Cheers.