[Beowulf] Gentoo in the HPC environment

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Sat Jun 28 07:16:52 PDT 2014

On 06/28/2014 09:53 AM, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:
> I am going to take this thread down another possible road that nobody has
> mentioned.
>
> What about an HPC cluster in a data center, enterprise, environment hell
> even an ISP environment. Does the same still apply?

Very much so ... you need the flexibility to choose as many of the
system features as you can.  The OS and distro have been reduced to a
feature detail, in the sense that they will add/subtract
complexity/performance/security.  As with other details, there is always
a cost-benefit analysis one can work through.

You list the features you require, the features you have a strong
preference for, features you would like, and examine the costs/choices
you need to make to achieve these.

If you can easily manage/deploy/control gentoo, without significant
pain, and it meets all your other requirements, solves your needs
without causing you additional grief/time/effort/resources, use it.  If
it causes you pain, examine whether or not that pain is warranted or
needed.  This is the choice we made with CentOS/Red Hat a while ago, and
Windows long before that.

Use what makes sense, though the definition of "makes sense" varies per
context.

We have large customers running an OpenSolaris rebuild as the basis for
their global cloud.  It makes sense to them (engineering, support, etc.).

Regardless of this our tiburon/Scalable OS system supports booting
anything over PXE (yeah, DOS included ... not kidding at all) to bare
metal, VMs, etc. so its not an issue for us.  The OS is a detail, what
matters is how you use it and how you can use and support it.  It
doesn't matter where it is, what it is, and whose using it.  This isn't
an ego issue, its a pragmatic issue, which is why flexibility in all
things is what matters most.  It gives you the greatest ability to
optimize the things deemed important, while reducing the costs of these
choices to manageable levels.  You make a change when the costs of the
choice exceed the value of the choice.