[Beowulf] Gentoo in the HPC environment

Prentice Bisbal prentice.bisbal at rutgers.edu
Thu Jun 26 07:36:41 PDT 2014

On 06/25/2014 07:14 PM, Ellis H. Wilson III wrote:
> [...]
> smokes what I would have given for a flexible environment then.
>
> 3.a continues below:
>
> On 06/25/2014 04:50 PM, Prentice Bisbal wrote:
>> On 06/25/2014 03:08 PM, Kilian Cavalotti wrote:

>>> One way to deal with this is to separate user applications from the
>>> OS, as much as possible. And compilers could be considered as user
>>> applications.
>>> You can just use a very minimal OS on your compute nodes, then compile
>>> and install all the user facing bits in a shared location. You hand an
>>> environment modules system to the users and off they go. Systems such
>>> as EasyBuild (https://hpcugent.github.io/easybuild/) aim to facilitate
>>> this by allowing easy compilation and installation of scientific
>>> software (based on descriptive specification files, à la Gentoo
>>> ebuilds), including dependencies, and by automatically generating
>>> environment modules.
>>>
>>> This way, you don't really care what the underlying OS is. You can
>>> have as many versions of GCC, Python, R, Perl, Ruby or anything
>>> installed alongside each other with no side effect, as long as you
>>> load the right module before running your job. It's like a
>>> distro-agnostic ebuild system.
>>>
>>> You can keep the distro the hardware vendor recommends to retain
>>> support (for interconnect drivers, parallel filesystems and such)
>>> while making your users happy with the newest versions of the software
>>> they need^Wwant.
>>>
>> I agree with this approach. I've been doing this for years, and it's
>> really not has hard as people make it out to be. There's the occasional
>> 'dependency Hell' situation, but that's not usually that bad unless you
>> are building a GUI application. Fortunately, GUI users aren't too common
>> in HPC. Overall, I find compiling Perl, R, etc. from source and
>> installing each version in it's own installation directory much easier
>> then learning how to get package managers to allow you to install
>> different versions of the same packages in a sane way.
>
> 3.a: Agree with some of the above from Kilian and Prentice.  The
> absolute best scenario (IMHO) for users and administrators is to
> provide an environment where users who want full control and want to
> take the responsibility for support onto themselves (e.g., me and all
> my fellow systems researchers in my PhD) can do so, while users who
> want all of that "nonsense" to get out of the way so they can run
> their application X to do "real" science without having to recode it
> for bleeding-edge (or super-old) version of GCC/Perl/Python/etc can
> also do so.  The ONLY place this is possible is in a flexible
> (VM/Docker/etc) environment. Administrators just need to tell the
> latter group "choose from ImageA, ImageB, and ImageC to run your
> application." Counter-argument will be "I have to manage those
> images." Counter-counter argument is "Is that really harder than
> rolling special environments to cope with those users (which you'll

I disagree with needed separate images in a VM/Docker/etc. environment,
maybe if your doing system-level research, but most HPC users work
exclusively in the user-space,and just want to run their
MATLAB/NAMD/LAMMPS, whatever job. In this case, just installing
user-space applications and libraries in a different path from the
distro-supplied versions is adequate. Modifying PATH and a few other
environment variables that most users can handle is all you need
modules, lmod, softenv and other utilities make that even easier for users.

If you're doing lower-level research involving kernel modules or kernel
tuning, yes, you will need VMs or something. But this is usually
'research', not 'production' HPC.

> I ended up doing very crazy root-stealing, chroot-establishing things
> to get my science done in my PhD.  If you prevent intelligent people
> from doing their work, they are going to be your worst nightmare.
> Don't kid yourselves if you think you are doing anyone favors by
> providing super-static OS environments like RHEL for your users.  You
> are just being lazy (and not the good kind of programmer lazy).

This is so true. If you are a roadblock to your users, they will find a
way around you.