[Beowulf] Gentoo in the HPC environment

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Wed Jun 25 15:07:45 PDT 2014

On 06/25/2014 05:51 PM, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:
> You guys mention perl and I learned an interesting hackish way to get the
> latest version of perl on ones system.
>
> Have you perl guys used perlbrews before. I set up a perlbrew setup for a

Yes, but ran into problems on CentOS 6.x.  Easier time of it elsewhere.

> centos vm template at the Data center I used to work at. I had tried to
> upgrade the system perl and that broke the entire installation, but
> eventually i found out you could setup the latest version of perl though
> the perlbrews with out touching the systems perl. All you need to do on
> reboot is have it source the appropriate file so the perlbrew is loaded.

Basically yes.  Perlbrew is one of the better build environments, but
not the only one.  We have our build environment construct Perl 5.18.2,
Python 3.4, Julia, and several other tools.  We place our tree into
/opt/scalable.

When we build other packages (openmpi etc.) we place it into

	/opt/$package/$version

Modules gives you some capability to manage things like this, though
I've (in the dim and distant past) spent many a day debugging things
that modules didn't do right.  Usually errant libraries.  ld.so can turn
good systems into horrible messes by doing what it was designed to do
and loading the first available shared object that matches the "path".

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com