[Beowulf] Small files

Skylar Thompson skylar.thompson at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 06:17:30 PDT 2014

We've recently implemented a quota of 1 million files per 1TB of
filesystem space. And yes, we had to clean up a number of groups' and
individuals' spaces before implementing that. There seems to be a trend
in the bioinformatics community for using the filesystem as a database.
I think it's enabled partly by a lack of knowledge of scaling and
speedup in the community, since so much stuff still runs on laptops and
desktops. I'd really like to teach a basic scientific computing class at
work to address those concepts, but that would take more time than I
have right now.

Skylar