No subject

Thu Jun 12 22:07:40 PDT 2014

environment, designed with priorities set by a much different market
segment than traditional science and engineering. Windows NT® and now
Windows 2000 were designed to meet the needs of those ISVs building
products for businesses that are unable or unwilling to dedicate their
best people to support their infrastructure (versus focusing on building
solutions for their business mission), as well as the needs of a
hardware community that required continuous integration of new devices
and components."

Thanks to Yoon Jae Ho for the link, I needed a good laugh today.  Maybe
I should send this to my friends as a joke, naa they probably wouldn't
get it anyway.  I have to say, although I can't really share your
concern about the computing needs for Korea (being an American), I think
we can all agree that the general state of ignorance towards the Beowulf
project is something that needs to be remedied before Microsoft gets a
chokehold on this market just like it has on the desktop market.

Christoph Wasshuber wrote:

> Matt Links wrote:
> >
> > from http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWS2000/hpc/indstand.asp
> >
> > "Until recently, most clustered computers ran UNIX or proprietary
> > operating systems on proprietary hardware. Microsoft changed all
> > that with Windows® 2000, the de facto industry-standard operating
> > system. Now anyone with massive computing needs can create
> > clusters using commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) PCs and a shrink-wrapped
> > version of Windows 2000. "
> >
> > I don't know about the rest of you but this makes me laugh.
>
> It makes me very angry!! Because it is clearly a lie! Isn't there
> a Better Business Bureau or somewhere to complain about? This is
> clear misinformation.
>
> Chris....

Jared Hodge
Institute for Advanced Technology