[Beowulf] Mutiple IB networks in one cluster

Alex Chekholko alex.chekholko at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 16:15:37 PST 2014

Hi Prentice,

Today, IB probably means Mellanox, so why not get their pre-sales
engineer to draw you up a fabric configuration for your intended use
case?

Certainly you can have a fabric where each host has two links, and
then you segregate the different types of traffic on the different
links.  But what would that accomplish if they're using the same
fabric?

Certainly you can have totally separate fabrics and each host could
have links to one or more of those.

If this was Ethernet, you'd comparing separate networks vs multiple
interfaces on the same network vs bonded interfaces on the same
network.  Not all the concepts translate directly, the main one being
the default network layout, Mellanox will suggest a strict fat tree.

Furthermore, your question really just comes down to performance.
Leave IB out of it.  You're asking: is an interconnect with such and
such throughput and latency sufficient for my heterogeneous workload
comprised of bulk data transfers and small messages.  Only you can
answer that.

Regards,
Alex