[Beowulf] mpi slow pairs

Håkon Bugge hakon.bugge at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 00:11:23 PDT 2014

On 29. aug. 2014, at 22.20, Michael Di Domenico wrote:

> i believe all the pairs do pass through a spine.

IB is destination routed. Without knowing your topology and/or traffic pattern, I expect the pairs connected to the same leaf not to go though the spine. And given that is the case, you are vulnerable to the parking-lot problem

>  i'm not familiar
> with the "parking-lot problem", i'll google it, but suspect a
> bazillion hits will come back

You will. But if there are no erroneous components in your system, the behavior of your system is a function of the system itself and the workload given to it. The parking-lot problem might be an explanation of less than perfect bnehaviour. Not saying it is though.

Håkon