[Beowulf] 8p 16 core x86_64 systems

Joshua Mora joshua_mora at usa.net
Tue Aug 12 09:57:55 PDT 2014

Hello Doug.
AMD CPUs are connected together with a coherent fabric named Hypertransport.
It allows to build shared memory system with coherency upto 8 numanodes.
Currently, AMD CPUs have 1 numanode or 2 numanodes. The first is in 1
package/socket named C32 and the second in a 1 package/socket named G34.
The package G34 has 2 numanodes connected with Hypertransport.
That is the way you can get in a single package upto 16 cores.
Hypertransport technology allows only upto 8 numanodes.
Therefore you can have mother boards that connect upto 8 C32 sockets or 4 G34
sockets.
Hypertransport consortium has designed extensions to overcome this limit,
named high (numa) node count.
Adding below a link to the specification.
http://www.hypertransport.org/default.cfm?page=HighNodeCountSpecification

Without the intend to flood this list with marketing BS:
Numascale, a company in Europe (I can put you in contact with them) has built
an ASIC that allows you to build larger shared memory + coherency beyond the
Hypertransport limit of 8 numanodes.
You can buy then 4 G34 socket systems and connect them with this ASIC and
cables to build a larger system.
Adding below a link to their technology.
http://www.numascale.com

Best regards,
Joshua Mora.