[Beowulf] LSI Megaraid stalls system on very high IO?

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 4 01:24:49 PDT 2014

Mark, you are of course correct.
Flush often and flush early!

As an aside, working with desktop systems with larger amounts of memory I
would adjust the 'swappiness' tunable
and also the min_free_kbytes.
Min_free_kbytes in Linux  is by default set very low for modern high memory
systems.
I had systems with 128Gbytes of RAM which would lock up in a similar
fashion as you describe. Setting higher min_free_kbytes helped with the
'system paging itself into the deck' type of behaviour.
See:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Performance_Tuning_Guide/s-memory-tunables.html