[Beowulf] GPU based cluster for machine learning purposes

Douglas Eadline deadline at eadline.org
Thu Apr 10 09:07:45 PDT 2014

Piotr,

Mark and Jim have provided some sound advice. As to your
approach, I want to offer a data point.

Four mid-range Intel Haswell processors connected by
GbE can provide almost 500 GFLOPS of DP CPU performance
running HPL (the Top500 benchmark) without a GPU.

 http://limulus.basement-supercomputing.com/wiki/LimulusBenchmarks

Although you can buy a prebuilt box (disclosure, I sell them),
it is not that difficult to build you own system
using separate cases and some shelves. Or as Jim suggests, cookie
sheets and double stick tape.

--
Doug

--